Wednesday, August 31, 2011

It's Not You, It's Me...

"Who is this elusive creature, the reader? The reader is someone with an attention span of about 30 seconds--a person assailed by many forces competing for attention. . . . It won't do to say that the reader is too dumb or too lazy to keep pace with the train of thought. If the reader is lost, it's usually because the writer hasn't been careful enough."
--On Writing Well, by William Zinsser
This quote was memorable for me because it opposes a conventional view of reading and writing: that if you as a reader cannot understand what you are reading, the writer is probably just smarter than you. This isn't true at all! If you are so overwhelmed by the complicated phrasing and elaborate vocabulary that you cannot even understand what you are reading, it's not your fault; it's the writer's! The writer's sole duty is to write in a way that is clear and understandable to the reader, NOT to show off their thesaurus skills. It's not that impressive. In fact, it's pretentious and inconsiderate. I know this is something I need to keep in mind when I write. Sometimes, as a writer, it's fun to get carried away with the "fluff" and the language, but if the reader is lost, I know I haven't fulfilled my purpose. I am continuously impressed with Zinsser's wisdom and boldness to blast the stereotypes that come with being a writer.

No comments:

Post a Comment