Monday, September 19, 2011

Meet Jay Lindsay: The Tartan's New Advisor

The Gordon Tartan is alive and in-print this year, but not without the help of its advisor Jay Lindsay. Lindsay, 41, of East Brookfield, MA graduated from Gordon in 1992 and went on to the Colombia University Graduate School of Journalism from which he graduated in 1998. His career in journalism includes working at the Boston Globe as a cooperative education student, the Community Newspaper Company, Daily News of Newport, and the Associated Press, where he is currently working.

Lindsay wasn’t always interested in writing. In fact, his gateway to a career in journalism was rather unusual.

“I played baseball my whole life and figured if I couldn't be a pro athlete, it would be fun to write about sports,” said Lindsay. “But I started reporting on high school sports, and just found news to be far more interesting.”

Throughout his career, Lindsay has conducted interviews with high-profile people, mostly athletes, including Pedro Martinez, Tom Brady, and Derek Jeter. He’s been on some interesting adventures in pursuit of a story, one being travelling to Riker’s Island to write about prison chaplains. Even apart from journalism, Lindsay has led quite the wacky life.

“I've dressed up as Barney the dinosaur for money, but just once!” said Lindsay. “And in college, I wore an industrial gas mask while driving because my 1979 Omni had a leak and I couldn't afford to fix it.”

So how did this man of the world with an impressive background in journalism end up helping Gordon with the Tartan? Jo Kadlecek, a journalism professor and Senior Communications Writer for the college asked Lindsay if he would like to help with the revival of the Tartan.

“I have a lot of loyalty to Gordon,” said Linsday. “There aren't a lot of journalists from Gordon and I viewed this as a chance to help strengthen the program by strengthening the school paper.”

The Tartan is honored to have Jay Lindsay as an advisor this year to help make its re-launch successful and instill honest journalistic habits in Gordon’s aspiring journalists.

“I hope the people who work for the Tartan start to see themselves as stewards of a proud legacy,” said Lindsay. “I really want to help students turn the paper into something they are proud of, and something the campus community trusts.”

No comments:

Post a Comment